How to make a lattice pie crust
Find out how to create a lattice shell design to add a cool twist to your next dessert . These simple tips for wrapping, cutting, and weaving will help you customize your favorite fruit pie recipe .
Making a fresh homemade pie is a chore full of love but well worth the effort. The simple double crust is always amazing. However, the mesh top allows for creativity and customization. It only takes a few extra cuts to make your design unique.
These step-by-step tips will ensure successful dough preparation and proper cooling. Use it for fruit fillings like strawberry, apple, and cherry pie. Friends and family will think you went to culinary school. Let’s get started.
I use a pie crust recipe that yields enough for the top and bottom crust, like my apple pie recipe. It’s a classic Pâte Brisée, made with flour, butter, salt, and water. However, my recipe has a higher proportion of butter to achieve a super flaky crust. I break the butter into coarse pieces, about the size of a pea.
I’m making 2 discs 1 inch thick and I’ve refrigerated them for at least 4 hours. However, overnight is ideal to allow the gluten in the dough to relax. Rolling the dough soon after mixing results in a stronger bite.
Make the bottom crust
Roll the bottom crust first an inch thick. This ensures a strong base layer when slicing. Place in a 9-inch pie plate, pressing down sides and edges. Trim off excess dough but leave an inch border to fold over the top crust later. Refrigerate the dough while the mesh is working.
Cut slices of dough
Using the top of the crust, roll out a 13″ x 10″ rectangle. Cut them into 10 strips of dough that are 13 inches long and 1 inch wide. You can make strips an inch thinner if desired. I find a long ruler and pizza cutter work well for making strips. Refrigerate or freeze to make it easier to weave, about 20 to 30 minutes.
weave lattice design
Add desired pie filling to bottom crust. Lay 5 strips parallel evenly over the filling, then weave the remaining pieces. I like to have 1/2 inch of crust hanging over the edges to press with the bottom, fold, and crease.
Washing eggs and bread
Immediately before baking, brush the crust with beaten eggs. It will enhance the golden brown and make the look shinier. I also like sprinkling a little cinnamon and sugar for extra sweetness and texture. Sanding sugar works well, too. Bake according to your pie recipe directions. An assembled pie can also be covered and refrigerated a day before baking.
Venting the pie
Standard double veneer requires cutting a hole for venting. However, the mesh veneer has built-in ventilation with weave pattern openings. Not only do they look pretty, but those vents allow excess steam to escape from the fruit, concentrating the flavors and thickening the filling over time.
How to make a lattice pie crust
Learn how to make a vermicelli pie crust and wow friends and family with a great-looking dessert. Simple tips for rolling, cutting and weaving.
Preparation time 1 hour
Cooking time 0 minutes
Total time 1 hour
- ▢2 pounds pie dough, top and bottom crust
- ▢1 large egg, move it for egg wash
- Leave the top and bottom crusts at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes. This process will make winding easier. If it is still hard, leave it at room temperature until it becomes softer.
- Sprinkle flour on the surface of the dough and on top of the dough. When stirring, be sure to turn and dust with flour on the bottom and top. This will prevent it from sticking and make it easier to transfer to a pie plate. Roll the bottom crust into a circle about 12 to 13 inches long, about an inch thick.
- Place the rolled dough into a 9-inch pie plate and press gently against the sides and bottom. Using a paring knife, trim off the excess dough, leaving an inch overhanging protrusion to be folded over the edges of the retina later. Put the prepared pie plate in the refrigerator to keep it cold.
- Roll out and cut the second piece of dough into a 13″ x 10″ rectangle. Cut it into 10 strips that are 13 inches long and 1 inch wide. Instead, slice it into inch thinner slices. Separate slightly and then freeze on a baking sheet until firm, about 20 minutes, or refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freezing the dough makes it easy to weave the slices together without tearing or breaking. It also helps the net keep its shape while baking.
- Using the cooled slices, place 5 pieces parallel to each other evenly over the filling. Weave the sixth strip in the opposite direction, lifting the other pieces as needed to make weaving easier. Continue with the remaining 4 strips, one at a time.
- After letting the fillets thaw and soften for a few minutes, trim the overhanging edges to 1/2 inch. Press the edges of the bottom shell and mesh strips together and fold over the edges. Crease evenly around the edges of the pie crust using your fingers.
- Brush the shell with egg wash and sprinkle with other additives such as sugar or cinnamon if desired.
- Bake according to your pie recipe, or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day before baking. Bake until crust is golden on top and sides.
- pizza cutter
- glass pie plate
- Top : Granulated sugar or sandpaper can be sprinkled over the surface for extra crunch. Ground cinnamon can be mixed with sugar to add a warm spicy flavor.