Benefits of watermelon for diabetics – medical information for every day
Watermelon is a refreshing summer fruit that is high in water, fiber, and vitamins. Diabetics may be interested in fruits in general because they contain a high percentage of sugar, so we will discuss in this article the benefits and importance of watermelon for diabetics . in your diet, so read on.
Is it safe for diabetics to eat watermelon?
We can determine the safety of the food that a diabetic eats by knowing the blood sugar level of the food, and the glycemic load determines how quickly the blood sugar level rises, and therefore the rate of insulin rise, when eating a particular food, and this indicator ranges from 1 to 100 and foods with no A glycemic index of 70 and above is too much for diabetics.
When we look at watermelon, we find that the glycemic load is 76, and therefore a diabetic should not increase it and eat very little. Nuts and some good food sources of protein and healthy fats can be added with watermelon to help feel full.
One of the benefits of watermelon for diabetics is that watermelon is an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals, such as:
- Vitamins B-1 and B-6.
- Vitamin C.
Watermelon benefits for diabetics
- Watermelon contains vitamin A, and vitamin A plays important roles in improving the vital functions of the heart, kidneys and lungs, as well as in supporting eye health and improving eyesight, and a piece of watermelon weighing about 286 grams contains about 80 units of retinol, so a piece of watermelon contributes about 10% of the daily requirement of vitamin A.
- Watermelon contains vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant, and vitamin C plays an important role in strengthening the immune system, reducing the risk of infection and the risk of many diseases. Watermelon provides about 24 grams of vitamin C, which corresponds to about a third of the daily requirement of vitamin C for women and about a quarter of the daily requirement for vitamin C for men.
- Watermelon is high in fiber, and fiber makes the digestive system work better, which reduces the chance of constipation, and also increases the feeling of satiety.
- Watermelon has a high water content which makes it feel refreshing and keeps the body hydrated.
- Watermelon contains good levels of magnesium and potassium that improve blood circulation and improve kidney function.
Tips for diabetics when eating fruit
In general, diabetics should pay attention to the carbohydrate content of all the foods they eat, and fruit is undoubtedly one of the foods rich in vitamins, fiber and many health benefits, but the concern lies in its high sugar content. Although it is a natural sugar, it must be handled with care so as not to cause a rise in blood sugar.
There are some fruits that have a low glycemic index and that are not high in sugar. Examples of these fruits that a diabetic can use safely but without extravagance include:
- An apple.
In the end, dear reader, after learning about the benefits of watermelon fruit for diabetics, we advise you to follow a healthy diet that ensures that the blood sugar level does not increase significantly to avoid health problems and we wish you continued health and wellness.