Prickly pear oil: its benefits and how to use it
Sure, we’ve all heard of prickly pear and many of us should eat it for its health benefits and delicious taste, but have you heard of prickly pear oil? Do you know its health benefits? Learn more about prickly pear oil, which is one of the most expensive oils on the market, its health benefits and uses, and whether it is harmful or not in the following paragraphs.
What is prickly pear oil?
It is a type of oil extracted from the kernels of prickly pear and rich in fatty acids and important nutrients such as vitamin E and antioxidants. Prickly pear oil is not considered an essential oil as it is commonly used as a carrier (diluent) added to other essential oils, but has recently been promoted as a separate type that can be used in skin care products.
Benefits of prickly pear oil
There is not much scientific evidence to support the health benefits of prickly pear oil, and according to the available research, the importance of this oil is the benefits it provides to the skin. :
- It is high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents that can protect the skin from sunlight, aging, and other skin and skin problems.
- It has a high fat content, which makes it an important and useful carrier. The results of some studies showed that it is very beneficial for the skin when combined with vitamin A, but prickly pear oil helped alleviate this.
- It contains a large amount of linoleic acid that helps maintain the moisture and freshness of the skin.
How to use prickly pear oil
Ways to use this oil include:
- When using undiluted oil: You can put one or two drops of the oil on your hand, then gently rub the skin and skin.
- When using the oil as a diluent: The oil can be mixed with a few drops of another essential oil of your choice, then combined and gently applied to the skin.
If the oil is not used, it is advisable to put it in the refrigerator and store. For best results, use within a year or less, or two years or less, from the date of purchase.
How do I know the original prickly pear oil?
The ingredients list for original prickly pear oil is usually written as 100% pure, and the pure or original type of this oil tends to be a dark yellow mixed with a very light green. A very strong smell, similar to that of nuts, can help identify the original variety.
Is there any harm to prickly pear oil?
Prickly pear oil is usually beneficial for all skin types if you do not have any skin issues. If you are allergic to prickly pear, this oil should not be used.
If you have sensitive skin, it is best to do an allergy test first with a little oil on your wrist and wait for at least 24 hours. If an allergic reaction occurs, this oil should not be used.
Factors that can be categorized as shortcomings of prickly pear oil include its high price, since a large amount of prickly pear is used to make this oil.
prickly pear oil price
Prickly pear oil is one of the most expensive skin care oils due to the manufacturing process and the amount of prickly pear needed to make the bottle, and packaging and shipping prices vary from country to country. This oil is usually available at the following prices:
- In Egypt: a bottle can cost up to $1800.
- In Saudi Arabia: SAR 250.00.
- In Morocco: between 350 and 400 dollars but the price can reach a thousand dollars after packing and shipping.