Chinese fried rice made with fragrant jasmine rice, carrots, peas and scrambled eggs . This easy stir-fry dish turns plain white rice into delicious cereal lightly seasoned with soy sauce and topped with colorful vegetables . I often use leftover rice for a quick, convenient meal .
Fried rice is a staple Chinese food restaurant that is always on the take out menu. It’s hard not to eat every light and fluffy bite. What makes the dish so tasty is the quick frying technology, which is easy to process at home. Using this vegan recipe as a base, you can incorporate any blends or proteins you wish to alter the taste.
Raised in a large Chinese family not far from Auckland’s Chinatown, our homemade fried rice in our house was a “clean in the fridge” kind of dish, no recipe needed. My mom would use leftover rice from a previous meal and then add some meat like bacon, spam, or char siu. Easy and delicious every time.
Fresh rice vs leftover rice
Leftover cold rice is ideal to use because the grains separate and are easy to cook in the pan. This doesn’t mean you can’t use a fresh pot of rice, especially when cravings hit. Preparation takes about an additional 20 minutes.
The key to fresh rice is to let it cool slightly before using it. Cooling can be done quickly by brushing the rice out on a tray at room temperature, or chilling it in the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes if you’re impatient like me. The rice should cool to the touch before adding it to the pan.
Fried rice ingredients
- White, jasmine, or long-grain rice, fresh or leftovers
- Minced white onion
- carrot slices
- fresh or frozen green peas (avoid canned, too soft)
- Roasted sesame oil
- scrambled eggs
- I willow
- Salt and white pepper (spicy flavor and does not add color to the dish)
- Sliced green onions
How to make chinese fried rice
- Fry the rice by slightly browning it in a frying pan or skillet.
- Saute onions, garlic, and carrots until soft.
- Make a large hole in the center of the tray with the rice.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and beat until small curds form.
- Soy sauce is optional but adds a savory flavor to the rice.
- Add green peas at the end to retain color and shape.
make it login
I’m guilty of eating rice straight from the pan, and it’s often served as dinner rather than just a side. Other ingredients to add to this recipe are shrimp (fresh or dried), tofu, diced chicken for those on a low-carb diet, cauliflower rice or broccoli rice are delicious cruciferous alternatives.
A bowl full of steamed rice, small pieces of eggs and vegetables bring maximum satisfaction to the taste buds. My chops can’t move fast enough as I take my first serving, hoping there’s a little food left to come out of the bottom of the pan.
Use long grain rice for fried rice
Long grain rice retains its shape and stays separate when stir-frying. Jasmine is my top choice because it has a delicate and light floral aroma, is not too sticky when cooked, and is slightly dry in texture, which makes it easy to maneuver in the pan. Medium grain rice such as calrose or brown rice can be used, but it can be combined when cooled or a day aged because it becomes more sticky. Always wash rice before cooking to remove excess starches from the surface, which can cause clumping.
Chinese style fried rice recipe prepared with fragrant jasmine rice, carrots, peas and scrambled eggs. Make your own take out menu!
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Total time 30 minutes
- ▢1 cup jasmine rice, uncooked
- ▢2 cups of water
- ▢ 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- ▢½ cup chopped white onion
- ▢1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ▢½ cup diced carrots, ¼ inch dice
- ▢1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ▢2 large eggs, move it
- ▢½ cup peas, frozen, defrosted
- ▢1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ▢kosher salt, as needed for seasoning
- ▢White pepper, as needed for seasoning
- ▢2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- In a 3-quart saucepan, rinse the uncooked rice in cold water until it runs clear, then drain the excess water.
- Add 2 cups of water to the washed rice.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook the rice for 10 to 12 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the rice from the heat and leave covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Flip the rice with a fork and allow to cool to room temperature while you prepare the other fried rice ingredients.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil once hot, add the rice.
- Fry the rice so that it is evenly coated in the oil, then spread and press lightly around the pan.
- Let simmer for 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat the creaming and stirring every 30 seconds for a total of 5 minutes to encourage some light browning on the rice.
- In the center of the pan, make a large hole with the rice and add 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and toss in the center of the skillet for 1 minute, then combine with the rice until combined.
- Make another large well in the center, add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Pour in the scrambled eggs, leave for about 30 seconds, then gradually stir to make small pieces of scrambled eggs, and stir with the rice.
- Add soy sauce and stir until combined.
- Add the peas, stir, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Taste the rice and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
- 2-3 qt. Saucepan
- For this recipe, 4 cups of cooked rice is used.
- To cool the rice quickly, lay it out on a tray until it reaches room temperature, or leave it in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leftover cold rice can be used, just skip cooking fresh steamed rice steps 1 through 6.
- Replace 4 cups of cooked rice with 1 cup of uncooked jasmine rice.
- If you are using cooked day-old rice, break it into individual pieces with your fingers before adding it to the pot.
- If you prefer larger chunks of eggs, cook them first, breaking them down to desired size, then transfer to a plate and reserve, then add back to the end of cooking just before serving.
- Other types of rice can be used, such as long-grain or medium-grain rice, such as rose or brown rice. Just make sure it yields 4 cups of rice, as each type is cooked to different sizes.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free tamari or coconut milk instead of soy sauce.